THE PARK ROUTES CENTERS OF INTERPRETATION VILLAGES PROGRAM NEWS SHOP
site map contact us credits
 
ALBALATE DEL ARZOBISPO
ARIÑO
OLIETE
ALACÓN
ALCAINE
OBÓN
PEÑARROYAS
MONTALBÁN
 
 
 
PEÑARROYAS
VILLAGES
 

Name of inhabitants: Peñarroyero
Population: 409 inhab. in 1900 / 313 inhab. in 1950 / 30 inhab. in 1995
Elevation: 820 mts.
Original name : Peñas Royas

Peñarroyas, situated on the left side of the Martín river, is actually part of Montalbán. It is usually referred to as Peñas Royas, due to the strong red color of the sandstone massifs. They channel the Martín river and mark the northern boundary of the village. These sandstones of the Triassic period (Buntsandstein red sandstones), familiarly known as Rodeno, not only characterize the landscape but also influenced the architecture of this area. Peñarroyas features buildings with high-quality reddish ashlars and an abundance of lookouts and sunny spots on the top.

The emergence of gray material from the coalfield south of the village - the oldest of the Cultural Park - also affects the architectural aesthetic. The characteristic grayish paving stones when mixed with the red sandstones in buildings originate a beautiful contrast. Attention should be paid to the traditional buildings; they are small, and made mostly of these grayish paving stones. These traditional buildings are known as "cochiqueras" (pigsties), which is where pigs are raised and then killed in winter, providing the family with its main source of income.

The main street is a continuation of the local road, which starts in Montalbán and ends here. The entrance of the village is too narrow to allow car traffic. The switchback street allows for easy travel up the mountain, and parallels the Martín river.

Houses started to be built on both sides of the street, adapting to the bottom of the slope where the village sits. Most houses have three stories. In the square we can find the most important buildings in Peñarroyas: the old town hall and Saint Mary Major church (iglesia de Santa María la Mayor).

The town hall is a two storied-building made in reddish masonry that features an old market place on the ground floor. It has two round arches on a central column, and is closed with carpentry and glasswork, which made it possible to turn the place into a bar and community center. On the upper floor there are still two halls for the old local school.

This building is next to the Saint Mary Major church (iglesia de Santa María La Mayor), and followed its masonry construction model, even though the church shows examples of good ashlaring in the corners. The small but beautiful temple faces the square with a simple round arch façade featuring a vaulted niche probably representing the Saint of the church. An opening on the top allows the church interiors to be illuminated by natural light. A small tower, also in masonry and reddish ashlaring, features two sections. The bottom is square shaped with a cornice; the top is octagonal with round openings.

Higher up in the village we can find the ashlaring relics of the Saint Barbara's hermitage (ermita de Santa Bárbara).

Following the square, the main street divides. One side becomes a path to the traditional farmyards in the outskirts of the village and ends in the river by Pozos Bolletes. The farmyards are often cobbled with reddish paving stones. Geometrical and concentric shapes are designed around a central paving stone. On the other side, and after joining a stone paved road heading up to the Portillo top , the street ends near an old pillar . There we can find an intersection leading to the nearby localities of Obón and La Hoz de la Vieja, and an extraordinary lookout showcasing panoramas and the range of colors in the landscape and its surroundings.

 
 
PARQUE CULTURAL RÍO MARTÍN.- C/ Tiro del Bolo, s/n 44547 ARIÑO (Teruel)
Diseño, desarrollo y mantenimiento: Sedinet