Name of inhabitants: Obonero
Population: 1.257 inhab. in 1900 / 1.012 inhab. in 1950 / 61 inhab. in 1995
Elevation: 685 mts.
Obón is located on a sunny spot, having at its foot the intersection of the Cabra river - or De la Torre river, as it is known here - and the Martín river. The canyons and steep passages of the Martín river are particularly spectacular in this area. Like in Alcaine, we see in rock paintings that these places also attracted the attention of prehistoric hunters who could find protection and good hunting places among its bends and shelters.
The village was built on a semi-flat area with different levels, giving mild slopes to its streets. This area meets the Martín river on its left bank. The slopes made it necessary to build a strong stone wall - the first thing the visitor will notice because of its large size - in order to consolidate the supporting terraces and allow access from the valley.
A watercourse constituting the main artery of the town separates these terraces. On the left bank of the watercourse we find the most important buildings: the town hall -still preserving the market place with two round arches- the popular houses, and those of the nobles , and the church of the Assumption of Our Lady (iglesia de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora) , which is situated on one end of the terrace on the Santa María ravine. The church is the most remarkable building in Obón, and in urgent need of reconstruction. A baroque building of the XVII century, it features a nave with two aisles, transect with dome and lantern. The façade is simple, and has a round arch, which probably originated in an older temple. This idea is strengthened when one considers the technique and decoration of the slender bell tower. It has different parts, all made of bricks , and features pointed windows-typical of the Christian Gothic style with a Mudéjar influence. Based on the evidence of the tower's Mudéjar technique, professor Isabel Tirado suggests the existence of a decoration with glass ceramics very similar to the one used in the Montalbán church. In the tower decoration is also the typical saw-toothed shape and brick molding embossed on the cornice.
In the brickwork walls of this church, local researcher, María Jesús Berraondo, who already outlined the Mudéjar influences in the tower and in the chorus, found some beautifully decorated capitals, bases of Romanesque columns with angular spheres, examples of the typical chess-style of the Romanesque period and a masonry work. The masonry work featured a "T," which apparently represented the temple. All this suggests the reusing of building materials from an old Romanesque temple of the XIII century.
This means that the village was originally built on this area, the surrounding land serving the later urban expansion due to increasing population.
Other terraces on the mountainside and outside the town hosted traditional farmyards and barns - now abandoned or intended for different use- conferring a traditional atmosphere to the place. Under the wall and very close to the river are the traditional cave washhouses , which make use of the water collected in a noria uphill of the Martín river and then channeled to the wash-houses through an irrigation system along the left bank of the river.
The Holy Sepulchre hermitage (ermita del Santo Sepulcro) is located on the top of the same slope and can be accessed via the calvary, connected to the village. Pillars and the Way of the Cross stations can be found there. This hermitage is without aisles on the sides and features a round entrance arch.
In Obón, attention should be also paid to the Saint Michael's hermitage (ermita de San Miguel) , with its harsh environment , which lies about 4 kilometers from the village on the local road. The hermitage was built in masonry and its high position offers a beautiful panorama.