site map contact us credits
ROUTES from Ariño
 Arcos mountain range

Old name: Arinno
Name of inhabitants: Ariñero
Population: 1.347 inhab. in 1900 / 1.543 inhab. in 1950 / 953 inhab. in 1995
Elevation: 522 mts.

Ariño is located on the slope of the Arcos mountain range at the intersection of the Martín and Escuriza rivers. Having developed on a mountainside, the streets going up to the old center are markedly inclined. The historical center contrasts the modern mining village facing north in the Martín river valley, in the lower part of the slope. There, in recent years, the economy has strongly influenced the urban development. It is for this reason that t he area clearly reflects a typical mining population whose economy is based on coal and kaolin mining.

The uniform urban scheme of the miners' houses is bordered by semicircular squares dedicated to mining. They are located on both ends of the village and are linked by a local road. We can find the plaza de la Minería in the northeast and the plaza del Minero in the southwest. Here, an old mining support frame , used at the time of the first Ariño mines, has been restored for exhibition and beautification of the square. Because of its height, it stands out against the surrounding buildings (an old treasurer's office and the general offices of mining companies). An old school sits on a terrace on the side of the Escuriza river, at the foot of the Arcos mountain range. It was built for miners' children by the Angel Luengo mining company (then SAMCA), and has since been turned into the Center of Interpretation of Rock Art "Antonio Beltrán" of the Cultural Park of the Martín river.

The old urban center, which probably developed from a fortified settlement on top of the hill and its surroundings, contrasts the modernity of this area. The hill was probably chosen for the high visibility it offers and the easy control of the access from both the Martín and Escuriza river valleys.

The connection of these two areas is made through the long ascending Teruel street (calle Teruel), which zigzags up the slope to a square. Entrance to the square was originally made via an arch, which was an old access door to the now disintegrated center. There are no traces of it, except for some pictures showing its original location and the addition of an open chapel under the invocation of the Saint Martyrs, Saint Fabian and Saint Sebastian. It was built in the same style as other buildings in the region. Also added was a little open niche in the façade of one of the houses, which now hosts images of the Saints.

In this square, which connects both villages, we can find the main facilities of the place (bars, a pharmacy and some shops). The inclined streets were adapted to fit the mild irregularities of the otherwise flat hill.

The houses generally have 3 stories. Attention should be paid to a nobleman's house near the main square (Plaza Mayor), which features a traditional Aragonese brick gallery. The town hall is in the square proper.

On the top of the hill is the completely restored Saint Barbara's hermitage (ermita de Santa Bárbara) , which is visible from the rest of the mining village. Saint Barbara is the patron saint of the village, and provides it with protection.

East of this hermitage and on another hill is the San Salvador church , a baroque building of the XVIII century, built in masonry and ashlaring. It features one nave and two aisles, and has the door in an ashlaring frame hosting a noteworthy niche.

The tower's four sections are cylindrical, strongly inclined, and stand out against the rest of the urban center.

PARQUE CULTURAL RÍO MARTÍN.- C/ Tiro del Bolo, s/n 44547 ARIÑO (Teruel)
Diseño, desarrollo y mantenimiento: Sedinet