Old name: Albalat
Name of inhabitants: Albalatino
Population: 4.200 inhab. in 1900 / 4.341 inhab. in 1950/ 2.458 inhab. in 1995
Elevation: 337 mts.
Albalate del Arzobispo is located on the left bank of the Martín river, and marks the north-eastern border of the Cultural Park.
Although the castle's oldest relics are traced back to the age of the Archbishop Eximeno Luna, between 1297 and 1314, it is documented that in 1149 Ramón Berenguer IV gave the village and the castle to the Seo of Saragossa. For this reason the place came to be known as "Albalate del Arzobispo."
The ruins of this Archiepiscopal castle palace , a masterpiece of the civil Gothic style, are related to works made in the XV and XVI centuries. The castle is located on the top of a hill overlooking the Martín river valley and surrounding areas.
The horizontal streets are large, narrow and level, and are lined by house façades. The vertical streets by contrast, are on a high slope that runs along the side of a hill.
Thanks to its unique urban characteristics -buildings on terraces, houses of noblemen, openings in attics, projections, open galleries, small streets, arches and passages-and its outstanding monuments, Albalate was declared an Artistic-historic site . From the castle one can enjoy views of the roof network, the Martín valley, the Saint Barbara hermitage (ermita de Santa Bárbara) and Holy Sepulchre hermitage (ermita del Santo Sepulcro) - Albalate belongs to the famous Route of the Drum and Bass-drum [Ruta del Tambor y el Bombo], which takes place during Easter week in lower Aragon . West of the castle is the main square (plaza Mayor). The town hall and the Assumption church (iglesia de la Asunción) are its m ain buildings. The church has its origins in the Gothic-Renaissance period, built between 1581 and 1589 upon order of the Archbishop of Saragossa Andrés Santos. In 1998, the tower was restored.
West of the church square, the main street (calle Tremedal) goes through a popular and traditional neighborhood crossed by small narrow streets. On the closest street to the square and located in an old club is the Center of Interpretation of People's Culture of the Cultural Park of the Martín river. Tremedal street (calle Tremedal) brings us to an arch with a chapel open towards the urban center. It was built under the invocation of Saint Dominic , and was probably an entrance point in the old wall surrounding the village. Facing outward from the village, the chapel showcases a niche in honor of Our Lady of Arcos (Ntra. Sra de Arcos). T his marks the exit out of the village towards the spectacular sanctuary of the Virgin of Arcos (santuario de la Virgen de Arcos) -a baroque building of the XVII century. It is located on a rocky hill about 13 kilometers from the village in the direction of Ariño. The sanctuary is a pilgrimage destination for both villages, and it receives people from the whole region.
Northwest of the church square, the main street divides into Mayor street and Teruel street (calle Mayor and Avda. de Teruel), which are separated by a closed curve. This goes as far as Aragón square (plaza Aragón) and then becomes more urban and continues through Concepción street (calle Concepción) in the Juan Rivera square (plaza de Juan Rivera). There, at its end, we find the Saint Anne's convent (convento de Santa Ana ), which hosted the Franciscan nuns. A distinguishing feature is that the church has no aisles along the side. The buildings connected to it have been modernized.
The Saint Joseph 's hermitage (ermita de San José) , in the outskirts of the village and next to the cemetery, is worth special mention. Its construction, in ashlaring and brickwork, was carried out in the XVIII century, and features a preciously decorated dome with the images of the four evangelists. Attention should be paid to the dome and the representation of female angels with clearly defined breasts .